From all the low-carb alternatives to potato chips I've tried, mixed vegetable chips are amazing and probably the most similar. Just be very careful how much of them you eat, they are not carbs-free!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||11.8||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (24%), protein (7.8%), fat (68.2%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 average beetroots (160g / 5.6 oz)
- ½ sweet potato (100g / 3.5 oz)
- 4 large parsley roots (400g / 14.1 oz)
- 4 baby / 2 average carrots (200g / 7.1 oz)
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, extra virgin (or olive oil, red palm oil)
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 175 C. Clean and peel all the vegetables.
Don't confuse parsley root with parsnip - they may look similar but are definitely not the same! Parsley root is pale, almost white and has a clean, fresh parsley-like aroma and flavor. It is usually longer and slender and sold with the leaves (parsley leaves are used as a spice). Most importantly, they are very low in carbs (less than 2 grams of net carbs per 100 grams), which makes them similar to carrots. Parsnips are slightly yellow in color and more bulbous compared to parsley roots. They are sweeter and are rarely sold with any leaves. Most importantly, they are much higher in carbs (round 13 grams of net carbs per 100 grams), which makes them similar to sweet potatoes. Here is a great comparison of these two very similar types of root vegetables.
- Slice them very thinly on a mandolin. You can do the same job with knife, just make sure you slice them as thin as possible.
- Place the carrot, parsley root and sweet potato in one bowl and toss them with oil. Repeat with the beetroot in another bowl. Don't mix the beetroot with the rest of the vegetables or they will get pink. Place the vegetables on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 25-35 minutes or until crispy. Keep an eye on them and rotate the trays 3-4 times. Remove from the oven and let them cool down to room temperature. ENJOY!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!