Simple salads like this one are my go-to meal when I don't have time to cook. Technically it's made with eight ingredients but I didn't count the salt, pepper and ghee as these are used in most savoury recipes.
I made my keto & paleo salad with crispy bacon and chicken breast cooked in a skillet and then finished off in the oven. If you're short on time, simply use leftover rotisserie chicken. I also used avocado which is the key ingredient that will provide heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and electrolytes to keep keto-flu at bay.
Finally, I drizzled some ranch dressing on top. You can make your own or you can use a ready made option like Primal Kitchen made with avocado oil and no additives.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||10.1||grams|
|Magnesium||79||mg (20% RDA)|
|Potassium||1,031||mg (52% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (2%), protein (28%), fat (70%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, skin on (285 g/ 10 oz)
- 6 thin-cut slices bacon or 3 regular slices (90 g/ 3.2 oz)
- 1 large avocado, sliced (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 4 cups mixed leafy greens of choice (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 4 tbsp Paleo Ranch Dressing (60 ml/ 2 fl oz) - or you can make your own Keto Ranch Dressing (recipe contains dairy)
- ghee or duck fat for greasing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F. Start by crisping up the chicken breasts. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper from all sides. Grease a small skillet with ghee or duck fat. Place the chicken breasts, skin side down, on the hot pan.
- Without moving it, cook the chicken on high until golden brown and crispy, for 5-6 minutes. Then, flip the chicken on the other side, cook for 30 seconds. Transfer the skillet into the oven.
- Cook the chicken for 10-15 minutes. WIt's done when an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 74 C/ 165 F.
- If you want to bake the bacon in the oven, spread the slices over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes ...
... until crispy and golden brown. Alternatively, you can crisp up the bacon separately on a frying pan.
- Once the chicken is cooked, transfer to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice the avocado and the cooked chicken. Assemble the salad: start with the leafy greens, and then add avocado, crispy bacon and sliced chicken.
- Top each salad with 2 tablespoons of Ranch Dressing.
This salad is best served immediately. You can always keep some cooked chicken and crisped up bacon in the fridge and reheat or simply use cold.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!