These mug muffins taste great and are ready in just a few minutes. The idea of adding pesto was rather accidental. I was making some Quick Keto McMuffins for breakfast and had a jar of pesto that I made a few days before. So I added a couple of tablespoons of pesto and the result was totally worth it!
If you really miss bread, you have to try my keto buns or their nut-free version - those are the best bread recipes I've made. In fact, they became viral over the social media!
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 muffin):
|of which Saturated||12.7||grams|
|Magnesium||137||mg (34% RDA)|
|Potassium||634||mg (32% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3.6%), protein (13.1%), fat (83.3%). Net carbs without filling: 3.3 g.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 2 tbsp cream cheese (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- ½ medium avocado, sliced (75 g/ 2.6 oz)
- 4 slices crisped up Pancetta or bacon (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- Optionally: sliced tomatoes or crispy greens to serve with
If you need to make this recipe nut-free, use more flaxmeal (same amount) or coconut flour (half the amount). When using ingredients, always go by their weight, especially in case of baked goods. Measures such as cups may vary depending on a product / brand. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Place all the dry ingredients in a small bowl and combine well.
- Add the egg, cream, water and mix well using a fork.
- Add the pesto. Combine well and place in two single-serving ramekins.
- Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds. Let the ramekins cool before filling. Cut the muffins in half. Spread cream cheese on both halves and top with sliced avocado and crisped up bacon slices. Enjoy!
Tips for cooking in the oven: If you don't have a microwave, I suggest you make 4-8 servings at once. Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until cooked in the centre.