During the next two weeks, I'll be sharing recipes suitable for the fat fast. If you follow my tweaked version, rather than the traditional approach, you won't need to eat 4-5 tiny meals a day. I personally prefer to eat 2 regular meals and a cup of coffee with cream instead of eating several small meals every 2-3 hours.
If you don't plan to make this meal specifically for the fat fast, you can use a larger piece of fish (~ 150-200g / 5.3-7.1 oz), more spinach (~ 200g / 7.1 oz) and less fat (just 1 tbsp butter should be enough).
Hollandaise, which is used in this meal, is extremely easy to make once you learn how to do it. My four fool-proof tips to perfectly smooth hollandaise would be:
- Always cook it gently over a pot filled with boiling water and never allow the water to touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Keep mixing it at all times if you don't want to find any lumps.
- Pour the butter (or ghee) in very slowly or it will curdle.
- Never reheat your Hollandaise or it will curdle - make it fresh every time you use it just for the servings needed.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||40.3||grams|
|Magnesium||143||mg (36% RDA)|
|Potassium||1314||mg (66% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (1.8%), protein (16.9%), fat (81.3%)
Ingredients (makes 1 serving):
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
Instructions (electric blender / hand whisk method):
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. Place the salmon in a baking tray and drizzle with half of the olive oil, ghee or coconut oil. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the creamy spinach. Wash the spinach and place in a salad spinner to remove any excess water or pat dry with a paper towel.
- Grease a skillet with half of the olive oil (or ghee, coconut oil) and heat over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and cook for about 3-5 minutes while mixing. Season with salt.
- Add the heavy whipping cream (or coconut milk).
- Take off the heat and set aside. Meanwhile, prepare the Hollandaise sauce.
- Remove the salmon from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place the creamed spinach on a serving plate and top with the baked salmon.
- Pour over the Hollandaise sauce and enjoy!