This recipe is from the Cook's Illustrated Meat Book which is a must-have for all meat lovers. Quality steaks are expensive and you want to make sure that you get the best out of them. Apart from step-by-step guides to the perfect steak, there are more than 400 delicious recipes for cooking all sorts of meat cuts. Several recipes are keto-friendly and most can be adapted to a healthy ketogenic lifestyle.
Reverse Pan-Seared Steak is without any doubt my favourite recipe from this book. Although reverse pan-searing is not the only way to cook steak, it works best for thick cuts. To achieve evenly cooked steaks with a nice crust, a rare or medium-rare centre and without a wide band of grey dry meat on the outside, you have to use reverse-searing.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||17||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (0%), protein (32%), fat (68%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 2 large boneless strip or ribeye or filet mignon steaks, 1 ½ - 1 ¾ inch / 4 - 4 ½ cm thick (800 g/ 1.76 lb)
- salt and pepper to taste (I like pink Himalayan salt)
- 1-2 tbsp ghee for frying
- Optional: serve with Gremolata or your favourite steak sauce
If your steak is thinner than 1 ½ inch, do not use the reverse-searing method as it will overcook. Instead, use the this simple pan-searing method.
Instructions (Reverse-Seared Method):
- Preheat the oven to 135 C / 275 F. Remove the steaks from the fridge. Pat the steaks dry using a paper towel. Cut each steak in half vertically to create four evenly sized steaks. Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Press the sides of the steaks in until uniform 1 ½ inches (4 cm) thick.
- Place the steaks on a wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminium foil.
- Place in the oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes until meat registers 32-35 C / 90-95 F (for rare to medium-rare) - I like mine rare - ...
- ... or 25-30 minutes until meat registers 38-40 C / 100-105 F (for medium). If using filet mignon steaks, increase the cooking time by about 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet greased with ghee over a high heat. Cook for 1 ½ - 2 minutes on one side, lifting once halfway through cooking to redistribute fat underneath each steak. Using tongs, turn and cook until well browned on the second side for 2 - 2 ½ minutes.
It is essential to sear the steaks briefly in order to keep the meat directly under the crust from turning grey.
- Transfer all the steaks to a clean wire rack and reduce the heat under the pan to medium. Holding two steaks at a time together, return to the pan and sear on all sides until browned, for about 1 ½ minutes.
- Repeat for the remaining two steaks. Transfer the steaks onto a wire rack, loosely cover with a foil and let them rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, prepare your favourite steak sauce or try with Gremolata, Hollandaise, Ranch Dressing, Marinara Sauce or Keto Cheese Sauce.
Serve with Creamy Keto Mash or Greek Salad!