Paleo Stuffed Avocado
I've been busy working on the next big update of KetoDiet which will soon be on the Appstore. I won't go into detail now but will write a post about what you can expect in the new version :-) Now, back to my recipe…
Stuffed avocados are quick to prepare, sating and low in carbs. I use all kinds of different fillings and this one is my favourite!
This recipe includes three super foods: avocado, turmeric and sardines.
Including avocado in your diet is the best way to boost your electrolyte intake without taking supplements. An average avocado has less than 4 grams of net carbs, is very high in fibre, healthy monounsaturated fats and contains 50% EMR potassium.
Mark Sisson has an informative article about the numerous health effects of turmeric, including reduced inflammation, the real cause of heart disease.
Finally, sardines are high in healthy omega 3 fatty acids and low in mercury. If possible, get sardines in a glass jar or BPA-free tin.
Hands-on: 5 minutes
Overall: 5 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||7.5||grams|
|Magnesium||100||mg (25% RDA)|
|Potassium||1410||mg (70% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3.7%), protein (18%), fat (78.3%)
Ingredients (1 serving):
- 1 large avocado (200g / 7.1 oz)
- 1 tin sardines, drained (90g / 3.2 oz)
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise, try my home-made mayo (15g / 0.5 oz)
- 1 medium spring onion or bunch chives (15g / 0.5 oz)
- juice from ¼ lemon
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder or 1 tsp freshly ground turmeric root (preferred)
- ¼ tsp salt (I used pink Himalayan)
Notes: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Halve the avocado and remove the seed. Drain the sardines and place them in a bowl.
- Scoop the middle of the avocado out leaving ½ - 1 inch of the avocado flesh. Add finely sliced spring onion (or chives) and freshly grated turmeric root (or dried turmeric powder). Add mayonnaise and mix in well.
- Add the scooped avocado flesh and mash into desired consistency. Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and season with salt.
- Scoop the avocado mixture into each avocado halve and enjoy!