The original Low-Carb Mozzarella Pizza Crust, also called Fat Head Pizza by Tom Naughton, is very popular in the low-carb community. I made the recipe for the first time a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised with the result. The crust is thin with crispy edges and tastes fantastic. Unlike traditional pizza, this high-fat, low-carb version is filling - 2 slices will fill you up for hours. It takes some skill to flatten the dough, as it can get quite sticky, but the end result is totally worth it. In fact, after a couple of times, you'll realise how easy it is to make a healthy grain-free keto pizza - just check out my video recipe below!
Nutritional values (per 2 slices, ¼ pizza):
|of which Saturated||14.2||grams|
|Magnesium||86||mg (22% RDA)|
|Potassium||316||mg (16% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (22%), fat (73%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
Fat Head Pizza Base:
- 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella cheese (170 g/ 6 oz)
- 2 tbsp cream cheese (56 g/ 2 oz)
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup + 1 tbsp almond flour (85 g/ 3 oz)
- extra virgin olive oil for flattening the dough
- Start by making the pizza crust. Place the grated mozzarella cheese into a bowl and add the cream cheese. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Mix with a spatula and microwave on high for another 30 seconds. Mix again.
- Add the egg and combine well. Add salt, almond flour and mix until well combined.
- Place the dough on a heatproof baking mat and use your hands to flatten ...
- ... until ¼ - ½ inch (½ - 1 cm) thick. Spray some olive oil on your hands to prevent the dough from sticking. Alternatively, you can use a piece of parchment paper on top and roll the dough out until thin. Dock the dough with a fork and bake in the oven preheated to 425 F/ 220 C for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread the marinara sauce on top. Add fresh mozzarella slices.
- Place back in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with fresh basil, rocket, Parmesan cheese and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Slice and serve hot or cold.