From all the low-carb and keto side dishes, cauli-mash is what I like to cook on most days. If you want to try something else than the regular keto cauli-mash, add some celeriac (aka celery root) and cream cheese. If you need more sides to go with your ketogenic menu, simply use the filtering options when browsing through my recipes to find your favourites!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||12.8||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (12%), protein (9%), fat (78%).
Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
- 1 large cauliflower (700 g / 1.5 lb / 24.7 oz)
- 1 small celeriac (200 g / 7.1 oz)
- ¼ cup ghee, butter or lard (55 g/ 1.9 oz)
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup cream cheese, full-fat (240 g/ 8.5 oz)
- ½ tsp salt or more to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- freshly ground black pepper
- optionally: 4 tbsp butter for topping
- Peel and dice the celeriac into about 1-inch pieces. Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Finely chop the rosemary and thyme (if you're using fresh).
- Heat a large pan greased with ghee over a medium-high heat. Add the chopped herbs to the pan and cook for just about a minute until fragrant. Add the cauliflower and celeriac and season with salt and pepper. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes over a medium-high heat and mix to prevent burning. Then, lower the heat, cover with a lid and cook for 12-15 minutes or until soft.
- When the cauliflower and celeriac are browned and soft, take off the heat and place in a blender or use a hand blender.
- Pulse until smooth. Add the cream cheese and pulse again until well combined.
- Place in a serving bowl and optionally, top with butter. Serve immediately or let it cool down and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Enjoy!