If you miss your morning porridge, this is the recipe you should try! As many of you requested, I'm sharing a quick low-carb breakfast meal that doesn't use eggs. Just like many other recipes on my blog, it uses chia seeds which are low in carbs and a great source of healthy fats. Although I've tried other ingredients such as flaxmeal, I prefer the neutral taste of chia seeds. Adding flaked coconut and almonds give this porridge the right crunch and flavour. As you get used to low-carb eating, your palate will change and you won't be craving sweets. You can adjust the sweeteners in this recipe to suit your taste or skip it altogether.
Note: This meal is based on Faux keto oatmeal which is a recipe I've created for the KetoDiet App.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||18.5||grams|
|Magnesium||69||mg (17% RDA)|
|Potassium||311||mg (16% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6.1%), protein (11.3%), fat (82.6%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- ¼ cup chia seeds, whole or ground (32 g / 1.1 oz)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened (20 g / 0.7 oz)
- ⅓ cup flaked coconut, unsweetened (20 g / 0.7 oz)
- ⅓ cup flaked almonds or more flaked coconut for nut-free (20 g / 0.7 oz)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, unsweetened (you can make your own)
- ½ cup coconut milk (I like Aroy-D coconut milk) or heavy whipping cream (120 ml / 4 fl oz)
- 1 cup water or unsweetened almond milk, hot or cold (240 ml / 8 fl oz)
- 2 tbsp Erythritol or Swerve, powdered, or other healthy low-carb sweetener from this list (20 g / 0.8 oz)
5-10 drops Stevia extract
Optional: top each bowl with with ¼ cup berries, fresh or frozen (blackberries, raspberries and strawberries are very low in net carbs): ¼ cup blackberries - 1.6 g net carbs, ¼ cup raspberries - 1.7 g net carbs, ¼ cup strawberries - 2.2 g net carbs
The main reason I use two sweeteners in most of my recipes is that a combination of more sweeteners mask the aftertaste / bitterness of some of them.
- To bring in more flavour, toast the flaked coconut and almonds on a dry pan for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant while stirring. Place all the dry ingredients into a bowl: chia seeds, flaked almonds and coconut, shredded coconut and Erythritol. Keep some flaked coconut and almonds for topping. Add the coconut milk, water, ...
You can use hot or cold water depending on how you like to eat your oatmeal.
- ... vanilla extract, stevia (if used)...
- ... and mix until well combined. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes (10-15 if using cold water).
- Optionally, top with fresh or frozen berries.