Today I would like to share one of my favourite keto treats. Just like my Nutella Mug Cake, this orange & chocolate flavoured version is delicious and takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. It's high in healthy fats and fibre - enough to keep hunger at bay!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||18.4||grams|
|Magnesium||80||mg (20% RDA)|
|Potassium||296||mg (15% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6.8%), protein (13.8%), fat (79.5%).
Ingredients (makes 1 serving):
Tips for substitutions: If you want to make the recipe nut-free, use 1 tablespoon of coconut flour instead of 2 tablespoons of almond flour. For a coconut-free version, use 2 tablespoons of almond flour instead of 1 tablespoon of coconut flour. If you don't have coconut flour, you can use 2 tablespoons of finely shredded desiccated coconut instead.
Too "eggy"? Although I like this combination, some of you may perceive it as too "eggy". You can try the following: use one egg, double all the dry ingredients and add ¼ cup coconut milk, almond milk or cream. This mixture will make 2 mug cakes. Instead of the listed sweeteners, you can try other healthy low-carb sweeteners from this list. The reason I'm using both Erythritol and stevia is to mask the aftertaste some of the sweeteners may have.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a mug or a ramekin and combine well. Crack in the egg, ...
- ... add the coconut oil,...
- ... and freshly grated orange peel. Add stevia and mix well.
Try orange-flavoured or plain stevia drops from SweetLeaf.
- Top with dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Use a spoon and give the chocolate topping a little whirl. Place back in the microwave for another 40-60 seconds.
Tips for cooking in the oven: If you don't have a microwave, I suggest you make 4-8 servings at once. Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until cooked in the centre.