Ever since I gave up grains I missed my breakfast granola. I was determined to make a healthier low-carb and paleo-friendly alternative and created some of the best granola recipes, both for my upcoming book and for the KetoDiet apps KetoDiet apps. Those who use my apps, have you tried my Chocolate Granola? :-)
This recipe uses less sweeteners but you can add more Eryhritol or stevia if you prefer a sweeter taste. Granola goes great with full-fat yogurt, cream, almond milk or coconut milk and it's great when topped with fresh or frozen berries. Looking for a snack? Put some granola in an airtight container and keep in your bag to have any time you feel hungry!
Nutritional values (per serving / ~ ½ cup):
|of which Saturated||14.1||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5.3%), protein (15.2%), fat (79.5%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings):
One serving is about ½ cup of granola. The main reason I use two sweeteners in most of my recipes is that a combination of more sweeteners mask the aftertaste / bitterness of some of them. Ideally, use soaked & dehydrated nuts. Have a look at my post here to learn how and why you should do it: Keto Chocolate & Pecan Cookies and Benefits of Soaking Nuts
- Preheat the oven to 150 C / 300 F. Roughly chop the almonds, macadamia nuts and pecans and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Add the shredded and flaked coconut, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, protein powder (or powdered egg whites) and Erythritol.
- Add the pumpkin spice mix and salt. Pour in the egg white, melted coconut oil and add stevia. Mix until well combined.
- Add the pumpkin puree and mix well. If using canned pumpkin puree, make sure you opt for BPA-free product like this one.
- Place the granola mixture on a baking tray and spread evenly over the surface.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until crispy. The longer you bake it, the crispier it will get.
- Once done, remove from the oven and set aside on a cooling rack. Once chilled, transfer into a jar or airtight container and keep at room temperature for up to a month. Serve with cream, yogurt, almond milk or coconut milk and enjoy!