I love making any kind of hash and not just for breakfast. It's my go-to meal when I don't have time to cook or don't feel like cooking. It's quick and you won't need any special skills. Although I used zucchini, you can try any of your favourite veggies: brussels sprouts, turnips, kale, broccoli or cauliflower - all work great! Then, add some protein like bacon, minced meat or chicken and season with spices and herbs of your liking. Top with a fried egg or avocado and your hash is done!
Here are two of my other recipes to try: Ultimate Bacon Hash and Brussels Sprout & Bacon Hash and more breakfast ideas are here :-)
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||15.7||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6.3%), protein (16.7%), fat (77%)
Ingredients (makes 1 serving):
- 1 medium zucchini (200 g/ 6.9 oz)
- 2 slices bacon (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- ½ small white onion (30 g/ 1.1 oz) or 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley or chives
- ¼ tsp salt (I like pink Himalayan)
- 1 large egg, free-range or organic on top (for AIP-friendly, egg-free alternative, top with ½ avocado instead)
Note: Nutrition facts are calculated with egg, avocado is not included. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Peel and finely chop the onion (or garlic) and slice the bacon.
- Sweat the onion over a medium heat and add the bacon. Stir frequently and cook until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, dice the zucchini into medium pieces.
- Add the zucchini to the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes. When done, remove from the heat and add chopped parsley.
- Top with a fried egg or avocado. Enjoy!