This recipe is definitely quite extraordinary for most keto-dieters. As you may know, I'm not a big fan of vegan diets. However, I have received a few requests for a keto-friendly vegan recipe, as there are very few available. Although, most vegans follow the diet by choice, there are some that have to avoid animal products due to allergies. This is not a "zero-carb" recipe but that generally applies to most vegan foods.
If you are interested in a comparison of vegan vs low-carb diets, Kris Gunnars has a great article on his website that is worth reading (all supported by scientific references). In this TED talk, Allan Savory explains how plant-based diets affect desertification. If you do follow a plant-based approach, have a look at this post that answers some of the most common questions.
If you're not a vegan, and you feel like you need to add some protein, cooked chicken or salmon work best! :-)
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||11.1||grams|
|Magnesium||83||mg (21% RDA)|
|Potassium||1278||mg (64% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7.8%), protein (5.8%), fat (86.4%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Using a spiralizer, create zucchini "noodles". Chop the soft core of the zucchini and add it to the zoodles. If your zoodles tend to get mushy, try this technique from Mellissa at The Clothes Make The Girl.
Note: If you don't have a spiralizer, you can use a julienne peeler and peel the zucchini all around until you get to the soft centre.
- Place the zoodles (in batches if needed) on a pan greased with coconut oil and cook briefly for 1-2 minutes. The exact time depends on how tender you prefer the zoodles to be.
- Peel and halve the avocado. Remove the seed and slice it into stripes. Drain and chop the sun-dried tomatoes and drain the olives.
- Take the zoodles off heat and spoon in the pesto. Mix until well combined and season with salt.
- Place on a serving plate and top with tomatoes, olives, avocado and fresh basil. Enjoy!