Mexican Horchata is a simple recipe not only for Cinco de Mayo. I discovered Horchata a couple of years ago and immediately fell in love with it! In this recipe, I combined the traditional horchata drink with aroz con leche which is more like a pudding. It's made from rice and almonds, flavored with lime and cinnamon and sweetened with a lot of sugar. I found many recipes: some of them used a cheesecloth to strain it, some of them left the rice in and made it a pudding.
It would be easy to replace the sugar with a low-carb sweetener, but the rice... Don't worry, I didn't use Cauli-rice as I've done in other recipes :) Recently, I have been experimenting with chia seeds (Home-made Strawberry & Rhubarb Jam or Easter Smoothie) and to my surprise, it worked really well in this recipe - try it for yourself and let me know what you think :-)
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||2.3||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7.5%), protein (17.8%), fat (74.7%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Place the blanched almonds, fresh lime zest and cinnamon stick in a bowl. Cover with 2 cups of warm water. Let stand for at least eight hours or even better overnight.
Note: If you only have unblanched almonds, you will have to peel them after they get soft and before blending.
- After the nuts have soaked and softened, remove the cinnamon stick and lime zest.
- Place the rest (almonds and water) into a small sauce pan. Add the almond milk and puree with a hand blender until very smooth.
Note: You can get unsweetened almond milk in most supermarkets or on-line. However, if you can, make your own almond milk to avoid any unnecessary additives. Here is a simple recipe for almond milk (I would skip the dates). Almond Breeze, which is probably the most commonly used one, has a long list of ingredients. Some of them are harmless vitamins but it also contains "carrageenan". The health effects of this additive are not clear and may cause inflammation which could lead to more serious problems.
- Heat the mixture up until it starts sizzling and add cinnamon and the sweeteners.
- Whisk the egg and pour it slowly into the mixture while stirring constantly to avoid clumping. Keep stirring and cook for a minute or two.
- Take off the heat and mix in the chia seeds. Allow to thicken, pour in a glass and serve immediately or refrigerate and serve chilled. If you don't like the grainy texture of chia seeds, simply place in a blender and pulse until smooth.
Note: For smooth texture, use ground chia seeds.