Contrary to common belief, a keto diet doesn't need to be "zero-carb" and you can in fact include a large variety of non-starchy vegetables. This Greek Briam is one of the best vegetable dishes you can have on a low-carb diet. Just like the traditional recipe, I used plenty of heart-healthy extra virgin olive oil and fresh herbs. Instead of potatoes I added some cauliflower and topped it with crumbled feta cheese.
Fun fact: I was planning to include this recipe in my new cookbook but it didn't pass my 30-minute limit - all recipes in my new cookbook take 30 minutes or less to prepare. If you are on Instagram, I've been using the hashtag #KetoMealsIn30Minutes so you can have a sneak peak of what will be included in my cookbook when it's released in early 2017!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||13.7||grams|
|Magnesium||45||mg (11% RDA)|
|Potassium||649||mg (33% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (9%), protein (9%), fat (82%).
Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
- 1 small white or yellow onion, sliced (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup ghee (55 g/ 1.9 oz)
- 1 medium eggplant, diced (250 g/ 8.8 oz)
- ½ medium cauliflower, chopped (250 g/ 8.8 oz)
- ½ medium broccoli, chopped (150 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped (300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- ¼ cup vegetable stock or water (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
- 2 small zucchini, sliced (300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste (I like Himalayan salt)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (225 g/ 8 oz)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- Peel and slice the onion and crush the garlic. Place in a large casserole dish greased with ghee and cook over a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, dice the eggplant into about ½-inch (1 cm) pieces. Once the onion & garlic are browned, add the eggplant. Cover with a lid, lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the cauliflower and broccoli into small florets. Peel and slice the stalks ...
- ... and add all to the casserole dish. Mix and keep cooking covered with a lid for 3-5 minutes. Slice the green pepper, ...
- ... and roughly chop the tomatoes. Add both to the casserole dish, pour in vegetable stock or water, mix and cover with a lid. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the zucchini. Add the slices to the dish and mix. Cover with a lid and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Add freshly chopped parsley and oregano, salt and pepper. Leave some parsley for garnish. Mix and top with crumbled feta cheese.
- Place under a preheated broiler and cook for about 5 minutes or until the feta is lightly browned. Place on a cooling rack and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Finally, garnish with the reserved parsley and drizzle with olive oil.
Enjoy hot or cold!