Chocolate, vanilla or strawberry - which one is your favourite? If you can't decide, why not make this quick & easy Neapolitan ice-cream. I remember as a child that my parents would always buy a large container of this delicious trio. As a kid I loved it but now that I avoid sugar and additives, I make my own healthier version. It's sugar-free and makes a perfect refreshing summer treat. It's creamy and doesn't require churning or an ice-cream maker. For the base I used my keto vanilla ice-cream and then added strawberries and cocoa powder to make the remaining layers.
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 slice):
|of which Saturated||9.9||grams|
|Magnesium||23||mg (6% RDA)|
|Potassium||159||mg (8% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (9%), protein (9%), fat (82%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings):
For strawberry layer:
- 2 cups strawberries (300 g/ 10.7 oz)
For chocolate layer:
Note for raw eggs: If a recipe calls for raw eggs and you are concerned about the potential risk of Salmonella, you can make it safe by using pasteurized eggs. To pasteurize eggs at home, simply pour enough water in a saucepan to cover the eggs. Heat to about 140 F / 60 C. Using a spoon, slowly place the eggs into the saucepan. Keep the eggs in the water for about 3 minutes. This should be enough to pasteurize the eggs and kill any potential bacteria. Let the eggs cool down and store in the fridge for 6-8 weeks.
- Start by preparing the vanilla base. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Start whisking the egg whites and add the cream of tartar. As the egg whites thicken, slowly add the powdered Erythritol.
- Whisk until they create stiff peaks. In another bowl, whisk the cream...
If using whipped coconut milk instead of cream, here is a great tutorial that explains how to do it.
- ... until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. Be careful not to over whisk the cream. In a third bowl, mix the egg yolks...
- ... with the vanilla extract or vanilla powder. I used a combination of vanilla extract and vanilla bean powder.
- Slowly fold the whisked egg whites into the whipped cream. Then add the egg yolk mixture and gently fold in using a spatula until well combined. Divide the vanilla base into 3 parts. Place two parts into smaller bowls (one for the strawberry layer and one for the chocolate layer).
- Prepare the strawberry layer. Wash the strawberries and cut the green ends off. Place them in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Pour the blended strawberries in one of the bowls with the vanilla base and gently fold in using a spatula. Set aside.
- Prepare the chocolate layer. Sift the cocoa powder into the second bowl with the vanilla base and gently fold in using a spatula.
- To assemble the layers: Place the chocolate layer in a loaf pan or a freezer-friendly container and spread gently using a spatula. Top with the vanilla layer, and finally add the strawberry layer.
I started with the thickest layer (chocolate) and used the most liquid layer on top (strawberry). Do not swap the order or the layers will not set well.
- Freeze for at least 3-4 hours or until set. Cut into 8 slices and serve or place back in the freezer and store for up to 3 months.