A quality steak can be served on its own but if you want to add that extra something, this sauce is a great way to go. To make it, you just need a few common ingredients. I used arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce but you can skip it if you don't have any.
Steaks are great for those who follow a ketogenic diet. I always opt for a small or medium sized steak to keep my protein intake moderate. In general, the ore active you are, the more protein you should eat. Below I listed the average protein and fat content in a boneless strip or mignon steak - these cuts contain less fat than a ribeye steak if you are also watching your calorie intake:
- 200 g / 7.1 oz steak: 41 grams protein, 31 g fat
- 250 g / 8.8 oz steak: 52 grams protein, 39 g fat
- 300 g / 10.6 oz steak: 62 g protein, 47 g fat
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||21.9||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (4%), protein (28%), fat (68%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 2 small/ medium boneless strip or filet mignon steaks (400 g/ 14.1 oz)
- 1 tbsp ghee or lard
- salt and pepper to taste (I like pink Himalayan salt)
Mushroom & Red Wine Sauce:
- There are two methods you can use to cook your steak depending on its thickness. If the steak is thick (1 ½ - 1 ¾ inch / 4 - 4 ½ cm), follow the instructions for Reverse-Seared Steak that requires both oven baking and pan searing. Otherwise, for thinner cuts, follow my guide to cook the steak on a pan. Once the steaks are cooked, transfer them onto a wire rack, loosely cover with a foil and let them rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mushroom & red wine sauce. Add the remaining ghee to the pan where you cooked the steaks. Add the sliced mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes. Then, add the garlic powder.
- Pour in the red wine, bone broth and balsamic vinegar and let the liquid reduce by half.
- In a small bowl, mix the arrowroot powder with water and pour in the pan while stirring (you can skip this step if you don't have arrowroot powder). Keep stirring and cook for just a minute until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce, low-carb cauli-mash and/ or some crunchy greens.