This classic French dish is the perfect choice for Valentine's Day dinner. I used dry Burgundy wine that gives the slow-cooked meat an amazing deep flavour. It's delicious, really simple and can be cooked even by a novice. Compared to traditional beef bourguignon, I skipped the pearl onions to reduce the carb count. I used a carrot in mine and although it doesn't add too many carbs, I listed this ingredient as "optional".
Cooking with Alcohol - Is it Keto?
Although alcohol is on the "consume rarely" ketogenic food list, you can use it for cooking. It does not "cook out" during the boiling process completely but the remaining content is negligible. The longer you cook your meal for, the less alcohol your meal will retain. If you slow cook the meal like I did, you will end up with less than 5% of the original alcohol content. That's similar to using vanilla extract in a keto crème brûlée!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||18.9||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (25%), fat (70%). Calorie count is lower than listed as most of the alcohol will be cooked out.
Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
- 2-3 large beef braising steaks or any cut suitable for slow cooking (900 g/ 2 lb)
- 3 tbsp ghee or lard ( 45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium white onion, diced (110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- Optional: 1 medium carrot, sliced (60 g/ 2.1 oz) + 0.7 g net carbs per serving
- 750 ml bottle dry red wine such as Burgundy
- 1 tbsp unsweetened tomato puree (paste)
- 1 bouquet garni (recipe below)
- 4 cups white mushrooms, sliced (300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 8 slices bacon, sliced (240 g/ 8.5 oz)
- 1 tsp salt or to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- Optional: ½ - 1 cup water, chicken stock of bone broth if too thick
- 1-2 sprigs parsley
- 1-2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
Optional: serve with Keto Celeriac Cauli-Mash
- Cut the beef into large chunks and season with some salt. Heat a Dutch oven or a heavy-based pot greased with 2 tablespoons of ghee. Fry the beef chunks over a medium-high heat until golden brown for about 3 minutes. Turn on the other side and brown for 3 more minutes. Work in batches so the pot doesn't get crowded.
- Remove the chunks from the pot and place into a bowl.
- Lower the heat and add diced onion, crushed garlic and sliced carrot (if used).
- Return the beef chunks to the pot. Pour in the red wine and add tomato paste. The meat should almost be covered. If needed, add ½ - 1 cup water or broth (I didn't use any). Bring to a boil and mix well with a spatula scraping the caramelised cooking juices from the bottom of the pot.
- Add your bouquet garni. You can make your bouquet garni by placing all the herbs in a piece of cheesecloth and tying with an unwaxed kitchen string. Place in the pot, cover with a lid and cook for 3 to 3 ½ hours over a low heat.
- When the meat is tender, take off the heat. Use a spatula to remove the bouquet garni from the pot and cover it with a lid.
- Prepare the bacon and mushrooms. Grease a pan with the remaining ghee and add the sliced bacon. Cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned and then add the mushrooms. Cook for another 4-5 minutes or until tender and browned.
- When the mushrooms and bacon are ready, take off the heat and place in the pot with beef. Mix until well combined.
Serve with Celeriac Cauli-Mash or regular Keto Cauli-Mash.