This classic Greek salad aka Horiatiki is the perfect example of healthy Mediterranean cuisine. It's one of the meals I make at least three times a week, usually as a side to fish and meat. The key to success is to keep it simple and use the freshest ingredients. It's ideal for this time of year as all the vegetables are in season. Greek salad is easy to make, delicious and one of the top 15 meals you should try when visiting Greece! :-)
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||10.1||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (10%), protein (11.7%), fat (78.3%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 4-5 medium tomatoes (400 g / 14.1 oz)
- 1 large cucumber (300 g / 10.6 oz)
- 1 medium green pepper ( 120 g / 4.2 oz)
- 1 small red onion (60 g / 2.1 oz)
- 16 olives, ideally kalamata ( 48 g / oz)
- 4 tbsp capers or more olives (35 g / 1.2 oz)
- 1 package feta cheese (200 g / 7.1 oz)
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (¼ cup / 54 g / 1.9 oz)
- Optionally: salt, pepper, fresh oregano for garnish
When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Wash and slice the tomatoes.
- Peel and slice the cucumber.
- Halve, deseed and slice the green pepper. Peel and slice the red onion.
- Place everything into a bowl and add the capers, olives, oregano ...
- ... feta and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Serve immediately and enjoy!