If you've been missing meat pie, you have to give this recipe a try. Unlike many other low-carb pie crusts, this one is crispy and tastes amazing. Just perfect to fill with some meat, vegetables, eggs, cheese or any of your favourite filling. If you don't eat dairy, just skip the cheese and use more eggs or add mushrooms and vegetables such as asparagus, kale or broccoli.
My 30-Day Keto Weight Loss Challenge is almost over (final day is on 8th February). Make sure you send me you progress results by 15th February to win an iPad 3 mini, Breville Fast-Slow Cooker or MCT oil! If you didn't make it this time, I'm planning to start another 90-day challenge in mid February with even more prizes - details will be announced soon! :-)
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||12.5||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3%), protein (28%), fat (69%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings):
- 1 recipe Savory Keto Pie Crust
- 350 g pork loin, diced ( 12.3 oz)
- 6 large slices bacon, unsmoked, outdoor-reared (180 g / 6.3 oz)
- 4 large eggs, free-range or organic
- ½ cup cream cheese, full-fat (100 g / 3.5 oz)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (110 g / 4 oz)
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped (100 g / 3.5 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup freshly chopped chives or spring onion
- 2 tbsp ghee or lard, you can make your own ghee (30 g / 1.1 oz)
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt (I like pink Himalayan) or to taste
- Make the pie crust following this recipe. You can either make 8 mini pie crusts or one regular crust. Make the dough and press into the pan (I used a pan with removable bottom).
- Place baking paper on top and use ceramic baking beans to weight the dough down. You will need them to prevent the dough from rising and creating air bubbles, especially if you are making a large pie. Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic and place on a pan greased with ghee. Cook for 5-7 minutes while stirring. Then add sliced bacon and cook for further 5 minutes or until crispy.
- Dice the pork loin and add to the pan with the bacon. Cook over a medium heat until browned from all sides. When done, take off the heat and set aside to cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. Mix the eggs with the cream cheese and season with salt and pepper. Grate the cheddar cheese.
- Add the grated cheddar cheese to the egg mixture and combine well. Add finely chopped chives or spring onion and mix well.
- Place the cooked pork into the pie crust (leave it in the tart pan) and spread evenly.
- Pour in the egg mixture and mix gently using a wooden spoon. Place the pie into the oven and cook for about 25 minutes. When done, remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot or cold.