I love using ingredients like bacon and chorizo to add flavour without unwanted carbs. Chorizo is slightly spicy and great with the mild taste of cauliflower when added to cauli-rice and cauliflower soup. In this recipe, I added crisped up chorizo to meatballs and guess what - it is delicious!
I've been making these meatballs for the last couple of years and they've always been popular in my house. Last time I served them with my Keto cheese sauce and Buttered brussels sprouts. However, if you are dairy intolerant, you can skip the cheese sauce. The meatballs are quite moist so you won't need to add any additional sauce and can serve them over crunchy lettuce salad, with steamed broccoli or asparagus.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||11.4||grams|
|Magnesium||61||mg (15% RDA)|
|Potassium||506||mg (25% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3.7%), protein (24.7%), fat (71.6%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Peel and dice the onion and garlic and dice the chorizo sausage.
- Grease a large pan with ghee and add the chorizo, garlic and onion. Cook for 5-8 minutes over a medium heat or until lightly crisped up. Take off the heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, egg, almond flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, ground cumin and salt.
- Mix until well combined and add the crisped up chorizo, garlic and onion from the pan using a slotted spoon.
- Using your hands, make small-medium meatballs and place on a cutting board.
Heat the pan where you cooked the chorizo and onion over a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the meatballs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Once browned, turn the meatballs on the other side using a fork and cook for another 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5-10 minutes. The time depends on the size of the meatballs.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately or let it cool down and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. To store them for longer, place in a zip-lock bag and freeze. For a complete meal, try with Keto cheese sauce and Buttered Brussels sprouts!