As you may already know, I love Mediterranean food. Halloumi is one of the best low-carb foods to try when you visit Greece. Although it's a Cypriot cheese, it's commonly found in most Greek restaurants.
A few weeks ago, I came across this beautifully looking salad on one of my social profiles. My first thought was: I really miss grilled Halloumi! I used slightly different ingredients just to make it more keto-friendly. All those vibrant colours, zesty lime, sweet strawberry and crunchy cucumber make this salad just perfect for a light summer lunch. Make sure you eat it warm - that's when Halloumi tastes best!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||20.2||grams|
|Magnesium||63||mg (16% RDA)|
|Potassium||229||mg (12% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6%), protein (18.5%), fat (75.5%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 2 packages Halloumi cheese (400g / 14.1 oz)
- 1 cup strawberries (150g / 5.3 oz)
- ½ large cucumber (150g / 5.3 oz)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (14g / 0.5 oz)
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter
- ¼ tsp salt or more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Peel and dice the cucumber and dice the strawberries. Halve, deseed and finely dice the jalapeño pepper.
Make sure you get your strawberries and cucumber organic, they are on the Dirty Dozen Plus list for 2014!
- Wash and chop the herbs, peel and mash the garlic and mix with the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh lime juice.
- Mix everything in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Slice the Halloumi cheese into about ½ inch / 1 cm slices and cook on both sides on a skillet greased with ghee or butter. You can use a regular or grill skillet like I did. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Do not turn before the side gets brown and crispy.
- Place on a serving plate and top with the strawberry & cucumber salsa.
Make sure you eat it when the Halloumi is still warm - that's when it tastes best!