Keto Mexican Rice
This spicy Mexican-style dish is my favourite for several reasons. It's keto-friendly, quick and you will only need to use a few common ingredients. Like other recipes on my blog, this one is great for those who Celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
As many of you may have guessed, there is no rice or other grains used in this recipe - all you need is a bowl of Cauli-rice. I also tried this meal with pepperoni but it works better with thicker slices of spicy chorizo sausage. Chorizo is already quite salty and flavourful, so you won't need any additional spices.
Hands-on: 15 minutes
Overall: 20 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||13.2||grams|
|Magnesium||38.5||mg (10% RDA)|
|Potassium||763||mg (38% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6.9%), protein (18.8%), fat (74.3%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 5 cups Cauli-rice, approximately 1 average head cauliflower (600g / 21.2 oz / 1.3 lb)
- 2 Spanish chorizo sausages or pepperoni ( 240g / 8.5 oz)
- 6-8 jalapeño peppers (80g / 2.8 oz)
- 4 tbsp freshly chopped parsley or cilantro
- 2 tbsp ghee, butter, lard or coconut oil (30g / 1.1 oz)
- pinch salt (I used pink Himalayan)
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives). You don't need to worry about nitrates in chorizo or pepperoni.
- Prepare the Cauli-rice as described here. Don't cook it - only grate the cauliflower.
- Slice the chorizo and slice and deseed the jalapeño peppers. You can use any other type of mildly hot peppers.
- Grease a skillet with the cooking fat and add the peppers and chorizo. Cook until slightly browned and stir once or twice.
- Add the cauli-rice and cook for 5-10 minutes depending on how tender you prefer the "rice" to be. Taste before seasoning with salt - the sausage will release its savoury juices and you may not need to use any. Add finely chopped parsley.
- When done, take off heat and enjoy!