Like everyone, when I started my paleo-friendly ketogenic diet, I missed foods like rice, bread and pasta. However, I soon discovered that it's quite easy to make healthy alternatives to all-time favourites like rye bread, pizza, pasta, or even ice-cream.
If you have never tried cauli-rice, you may be surprised how similar it tastes to real rice. The secret to success is simple: Make sure you don't overcook it!
Like many other recipes on my blog, this one is suitable for my Clean Eating Challenge. There is no dairy, grains, sweeteners and it's completely paleo-friendly. If for any reason you have reached a weight loss plateau, don't give up and give my challenge a try!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||8.6||grams|
|Magnesium||86||mg (22% RDA)|
|Potassium||766||mg (38% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (9.2%), protein (31.4%), fat (59.4%)
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 3 cups Cauli-rice (360g / 12.7 oz)
- 2 cups prawns, cooked and peeled (280g / 9.9 oz)
- 3 cups white mushrooms, sliced (210g / 7.4 oz)
- 2 medium spring onions (30g / 1.1 oz)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 tbsp chili peppers, fresh, chopped
- 3 large eggs, free range or organic, scrambled
- ½ cup flaked almonds, toasted (30g / 1.1 oz)
- 2 tbsp basil, fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp mint, fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
- juice from ½ lime
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp butter, grass-fed or ghee (recipe for ghee is here) or coconut oil
- ½ tsp salt or to taste (I used pink Himalayan)
Notes: If you don't want to use all the herbs, use any fresh or dried herbs you like. If you don't have both fish sauce and coconut aminos, just use either. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Prepare the Cauli-rice as described here. Don't cook it - only grate the cauliflower.
- Grate the ginger and finely chop the chili peppers. Place on a large heavy-based pan greased with ghee, butter or coconut oil. Cook briefly for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes (white mushrooms contain less carbs than brown).
- Add the cauli-rice and mix in well. Season with salt to taste and cook for another 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Finely chop the spring onion and add it to the pan together with the peeled, cooked prawns.
- In a bowl, scramble the eggs and pour in the pan while stirring. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in the coconut aminos and fish sauce.
- Add freshly chopped herbs, lime juice and cook for a minute. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Add toasted flaked almonds.
To toast the almonds, simply place them on a pan and roast over medium-high heat. Do not grease the pan and roast for 2-3 minutes while stirring frequently to prevent the almonds from burning.
- Done - enjoy!