This salad is one of my "grab & go" favourites. It's great for anyone with a busy lifestyle looking for a sating and nutritious low-carb meal they can take to work.
I always have hard-boiled eggs and keto-friendly mayo in my fridge. This way I save time and money and avoid temptations. If you want to succeed with your healthy low-carb eating, you should plan your cooking at least a few days in advance.
This meal is suitable for my Clean Eating Challenge which is for everyone who needs to break through a weight loss plateau or simply "detoxify" their body. You can find a detailed Keto & Paleo meal plan here.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||9||grams|
|Magnesium||78.5||mg (20% RDA)|
|Potassium||828||mg (41% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (2.2%), protein (34%), fat (63.8%)
Ingredients (1 serving, large salad bowl):
- 1 small head lettuce, Romaine or Little Gem (100g / 3.5 oz)
- 1 large tin tuna, drained (180g / 6.3 oz)
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled, free-range or organic
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise, try my home-made mayo (30g / 1.1 oz)
- 1 medium spring onion or bunch chives (15g / 0.5 oz)
- juice from ¼ lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste (I used pink Himalayan)
Notes: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Tear the leaves of the lettuce, wash and drain in a salad spinner or with a paper towel. Spread the leaves over the bottom of the serving bowl.
- Add drained and shredded tuna.
To avoid unhealthy vegetable oils that may often be used in tuna products, get tuna in extra virgin olive oil or in brine. I avoid buying canned foods and get tuna in glass jars instead. This will minimise your exposure to toxic BPAs that may often be present in canned foods.
- Top with hard-boiled eggs, mayo and freshly chopped spring onion. The timing for hard-boiled eggs depends on their size but it's about 10 minutes for large eggs. Spoon in the mayonnaise and mix in well.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and enjoy!