When creating this recipe, I was inspired by the delicious Crunchy Cherry Chocolate Confections from Low-carb So Simple. I wanted to make dairy-free "fat bombs", so I added some coconut oil for extra fat-burning MCTs.
Why fat bombs? If you follow a ketogenic diet plan, you probably know that the main source of energy should come from fat. Fat bombs are easy snacks high in healthy fats and very low in carbs and protein. They are great for those who find it difficult to include more healthy fats in their diet or follow what is known as FAT FAST.
The first time I made these candies, I used 100g / 3.5 oz of dark chocolate and they melted outside the fridge. This was down to excessive coconut oil which melts at room temperature. After experimenting with different amounts, I found the mixture that worked well. These candies are not too hard and yet remain solid at room temperature.
|Overall||1 - 2 hours|
Nutritional values per candy:
|of which Saturated||3.7||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6.8%), protein (6.7%), fat (86.4%)
Ingredients (makes 25 candies):
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives)
- Melt the chocolate in a water bath, add coconut oil and cinnamon. Sweeten with stevia if needed and mix well.
- Add fresh orange peel and orange food extract. Food extract is not needed but will boost the flavour.
- Add roughly chopped walnuts and mix in well.
- Spoon the mixture into small paper muffin or candy cups.
- Place in the fridge for a couple of hours or until solid. Store them at room temperature.