Italian-Style Baked Mushrooms
Yesterday, you read how to make infused home-made ghee. This recipe is a great example of where using it makes a difference.
Just for comparison, I made Italian-style baked mushrooms, also known as Funghi Al Forno, before and was using garlic and onion. For 4 servings: 2 cloves of garlic added 2 grams of net carbs, while a small onion was extra 8 grams of net carbs. Although the original recipe was still low-carb, it had 10 grams of net carbs per serving. It's my favourite meal and I was determined to take the net carbs down. Using infused home-made ghee added all the favour and no extra carbs!
Hands-on: 10 minutes
Overall: 30 minutes
Nutritional values per serving:
|of which Saturated||9.5||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (12.8%), protein (24.9%), fat (62.2%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- Portobello mushrooms (500g / 17.6 oz / 1.1 lb)
- 1 large can tomatoes, unsweetened (400g / 14.1 oz)
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated (120g / 4.2 oz)
- 2 tbsp garlic or onion ghee, or a mixture of both (30g / 1.1 oz)
- 2 tbsp basil, fresh
- 1 tbsp parsley, fresh
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- salt and pepper to taste
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C. Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Heat the infused ghee (garlic-infused ghee works best) in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Take from the heat and place the mushrooms in small baking trays.
- Wash and chop the herbs.
- In a medium bowl, mix the basil, parsley and canned tomatoes with the herbs and season with salt to taste.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese and place in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- When done, carefuly remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for a couple of minutes.
This recipe is suitable for vegetarians but if you want, you can add some bacon or chicken strips for extra protein when roasting the mushrooms.