Unless you are a vegetarian, meat is a great source of healthy protein and fat. Cajun Chicken Tacos are high in potassium (~ 40% RDA of potassium) and very low in carbs. I love this super easy recipe that takes less than half an hour to prepare. You don't need any special ingredients and they're great for garden parties!
If you've never tried using lettuce instead of high-carb tortillas, you definitely have to try this recipe!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||18.4||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5.1%), protein (32%), fat (62.9%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 1 package chicken thighs, skinned, boneless (400g / 14.1 oz / 0.88 lbs)
- ½ medium red onion (50g / 1.8 oz)
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (or ½ tsp dried thyme)
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano (or ½ tsp dried oregano)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- fresh full-fat cream or coconut milk (60 ml / 2 fl oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 heads small lettuce (200g / 7.1 oz)
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Peel, halve and finely chop the onion, mash the garlic and chop the herbs (if you are using fresh herbs).
- Dice the chicken thighs, mix with garlic, herbs, paprika, cayene and black pepper and season with salt. Squeeze in the lime juice.
Note: I prefer using chicken thighs to breast filets. They are a lot juicier and tender!
- Heat a large skillet, add ghee or butter and cook the onion over medium heat until it becomes soft and golden.
- Add the herbed chicken pieces and cook for about 10 minutes or until done.
- Keep on medium heat, add the cream and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes while stirring frequently. When done, set aside.
- Wash the lettuce (I used Little Gem lettuce) and place in a salad spinner or drain using a paper towel. Spoon the meat mixture on top of each leaf and enjoy! :-)