It was my dad's 65th birthday last week and I decided to share a recipe that he loves. As the name suggests, it's adapted from a traditional Russian stew that is commonly served with pasta that can easily be replaced with zucchini noodles - you can add some if you like. It's meant to be eaten as a main dish. If you plan to have it as a starter, use half a serving.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||19.2||grams|
|Magnesium||152||mg (38% RDA)|
|Potassium||1406||mg (70% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6%), protein (27%), fat (67%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
- 2 large beef rump (sirloin) steaks (800 g/ 1.76 lb)
- 600 g brown or white mushrooms (1.3 lb)
- ¼ cup ghee or lard (55 g/ 1.9 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white or brown onion, chopped (110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 5 cups bone broth or chicken stock or vegetable stock (1.2 l/ quart)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard you can make your own
- juice from 1 lemon (~ 4 tbsp)
- 1 ½ cup sour cream or heavy whipping cream (345 g/ 12.2 oz) - you can use paleo-friendly coconut cream
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Optionally, you can use a thickener: 1 tbsp ground chia seeds (+ 0.1 g net carbs per serving) or arrowroot powder (+ 1.2 g net carbs per serving) mixed in ¼ cup water or use cream & egg yolk mixture like I did in my Pork & Kohlrabi Stew.
- Place the steaks in the freezer in a single layer for 30-45 minutes. This will make it easy to slice the steaks into thin strips. Meanwhile, clean and slice the mushrooms. When the steaks are ready, use a sharp knife and slice them as thin as you can. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Grease a large heavy bottom pan with half of the ghee. Once hot, add the beef slices in a single layer - do not overcrowd the pan. Quickly fry over a medium-high heat until browned from all sides. Remove the slices from the pan and place in a bowl. Set aside for later. Repeat for the remaining slices.
- Grease the pan with the remaining ghee. Place the chopped onion and minced garlic in the pan and cook until lightly browned and fragrant, for about 2-3 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 3-4 more minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add Dijon mustard, paprika, and pour in the bone broth. Add lemon juice and bring to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the browned beef slices and sour cream. Take off the heat.
- If using a thickener, add to the pot and stir well. Finally, add freshly chopped parsley. Eat hot with a slice of toasted Keto Bread or let it cool down and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.