The classic Moscow Mule cocktail is a ginger beer based drink with a splash of vodka and garnished with a wedge of lime or mint. It's not easy to find sugar-free products that are also free of artificial sweeteners so I used my Sugar-Free Ginger Beer. I made it for New Year's and loved it so I thought I should post it just in time for Valentine's Day.
Although sugar-free alcohol drinks and low-carb cocktails will not kick you out of ketosis, alcohol is not recommended for weight loss. Moderate consumption of alcohol is only suitable for weight maintenance. You can read more about the effects of alcohol in this keto FAQ post.
I'd also like to give credit to Mellissa of I Breathe I'm Hungry who posted a low-carb version of this popular cocktail just a few weeks ago.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||0||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (88%), protein (6%), fat (6%).
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 1 serving Sugar-Free Ginger Beer (¼ cup Ginger Beer concentrate + 1 ½ cups sparkling water)
- 4 fl oz vodka (120 ml)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice (30 ml/ 1 fl oz)
- ice cubes
- lime slices or mint for garnish
- Optional: ⅓ cup fresh raspberries for flavour boost (40 g/ 1.4 oz) + few more for garnish
- Start by preparing the homemade sugar-free ginger beer.
- Place the fresh lime juice, vodka, ginger beer and ice into two tall glasses or copper mugs. Add ice, garnish with lime slices, mint or raspberries and enjoy!
If making Raspberry Moscow Mules: Crush ⅓ cup of raspberries with a fork and place in a shaker with the lime juice. Add vodka and some ice and shake well. Pour through a fine mesh sieve into two tall glasses or copper mugs. Top with the ginger beer and add the remaining ice.