When the weather turns colder, it's the perfect time for comforting stews and autumn spices. This beef stew is an all-time slow cooker favourite in my house. It's made with all the favourite fall ingredients and low-carb veggies and it's perfectly balanced for a keto diet: high in fat, low in carbs and high in electrolytes (sodium, magnesium and potassium).
Cooking in a slow cooker/ crockpot is very convenient - you won't have to spend hours in the kitchen. In fact, when I make bone broth from oxtails and marrow bones, I leave them cooking overnight for up to 24 hours. Since you can use inexpensive meat cuts, a slow cooker is budget-friendly and makes meat juicy and tender.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||17.9||grams|
|Magnesium||85||mg (21% RDA)|
|Potassium||1111||mg (56% EMR)|
Nutrition facts are calculated from 10 servings. Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7%), protein (24.6%), fat (68.4%)
Ingredients (makes 8-10 servings):
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives). Bay leaves and cinnamon sticks are only used for infusing - they are not included in the nutrition facts.
- Preheat the slow cooker (crockpot) to high. You will need to use a large 6 quart slow cooker or halve the recipe to fit the ingredients into a smaller slow cooker. Using a paper towel, pat dry the braising steaks and season with salt and pepper from both sides. Place two to three steaks at a time in a hot pan greased with ¼ cup of ghee...
- ... and seal until lightly browned all over. When done, transfer each batch into the preheated slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the onion and garlic. Place in a pan greased with the remaining ghee and cook until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, broth, paprika, cumin, ginger, chili powder, ground coriander seeds and turmeric. Mix and cook briefly. Pour into the slow cooker over the meat.
- Add the cinnamon sticks and bay leaves. Cover with a lid and cook for 3 hours before adding the rutabaga.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the rutabaga.
- After the meat has been cooking for 3 hours, use a spatula to push the meat on one side of the slow cooker and add the diced rutabaga. Cook for another hour before adding the zucchini. Meanwhile, dice the zucchini (I used zucchini and marrow squash).
- After an hour, add the zucchini on the same side with the rutabaga and mix briefly to cover with the juices. Using tongs, remove the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks (or remove after the meal is done). Cook for another 2 hours.
- The stew is cooked when the rutabaga and zucchini are fork-tender.
- Place in serving plates and garnish with fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro. Season with more salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!