Slow cooker aka crockpot is one of the must-have kitchen tools. There are plenty on the market. I like this one in my recommended kitchen tools,
Here are just some of the great benefits of using a slow cooker:
- Money-saving. Most slow cookers are inexpensive. Additionally, you can use less expensive meat cuts that require longer cooking time such as beef brisket, pork or lamb shoulder.
- Time-efficient. You'll spend less time in the kitchen. Simply throw all the ingredients in the crockpot and set the timer.
- Healthy, especially if you're using the lowest setting. Low cooking temperature will help retain more vitamins and minerals.
- Energy-efficient. It uses less energy and in most cases, you won't need to use additional water.
- Easy & delicious. Apart from meat, you can slow cook vegetables too. Simply add the vegetables to the meat in the last 2-3 hours of the cooking process. If using cream, add it during the last 30 minutes.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||12.9||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3.1%), protein (28.9%), fat (68%).
Ingredients (makes 8 servings):
Spices for rubbing:
When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives). Here are several reasons why go for outdoor-reared pork.
- Preheat your slow cooker and set to high. Mix all the spices in a bowl. Score the skin of the pork by making cuts about an inch apart from one or both directions (and creating square cuts).
I prefer using a utility knife to score the skin. It's sharp, you can easily adjust the blades to the required depth and the blades can be replaced.
- Rub the spices into the pork. Peel and roughly slice the onion. Place in the preheated slow cooker and add bay leaves.
- Place the pork on top of the onion and cover with a lid. You won't need to use any water - there is plenty in the pork. Cook for up to 6 hours. If you are using the "low" settings, it may take up to 12 hours depending on the slow cooker.
- When done, open the lid and let the hot steam out. To make the pork crispy, preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. Using tongs or two forks, place the cooked pork on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover the pork with the BBQ sauce and place in the oven. Cook for 30-40 minutes.
Alternatively, instead of using the oven, place back in the slow cooker and cook covered for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Pour the liquid with the cooked onions and bay leaves into a blender. Pulse until smooth and set aside (I use a Kenwood blender).
- When the pork is cooked and crispy, remove from the oven and place in a bowl. Using two forks, shred the meat into smaller pieces. Pour in the sauce from the blender and combine well.
Serve immediately with roasted vegetables or with Keto Buns and Easy Russian Slaw. Otherwise, let it cool down and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it in batches for up to 3 months.