I'm pleased to introduce a very talented low-carb foodie and blogger: Sarah of The Primitive Palate. When I came across her recipe for low-carb gnocchi, I couldn't believe how easy and delicious it was! Sarah agreed to guest post for me and created another delicious keto-friendly recipe inspired by Italian cuisine: Zuppa Toscana (Gnocchi Soup with Sausage & Kale).
Hands down, my favorite winter food is soup. It’s warm, filling and surprisingly so very simple to make. It’s also a great way to get rid of various veggie scraps and leftovers cluttering up your refrigerator!
This soup features a favorite from my blog, Keto Garlic Gnocchi! It’s a low-carb version of the traditional Italian favorite, Zuppa Toscana. It also packs a nutrient punch with everyone’s favorite powerhouses: bone broth & kale. Usually, I make a big batch of gnocchi dough, form and freeze them. Then I can just thaw what I need, when I need it!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||30.8||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (4.2%), protein (18.4%), fat (77.3%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 1 pound ground spicy Italian sausage (450 g / 15.9 oz)
- 1 small onion, diced (70 g / 2.5 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups bone broth (chicken or beef) - you can use this recipe (1 quart / 1 l)
- 1 red medium pepper, diced (120 g / 4.2 oz)
- 1 cup chopped kale (frozen works when it’s not in season) (70 g / 2.4 oz)
- 1 batch Keto Garlic Gnocchi
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 ml / 4 fl oz)
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- optional garnish: Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley & crumbled bacon
This recipe is enough for 4-6 servings depending on how hungry you are. If you opt for 6 servings, the net carbs per serving will drop to 5.8 grams. One batch of Keto Garlic Gnocchi makes 2 servings which are used in this recipe to make 4 servings of soup. 1 serving of gnocchi is 6.2 g net carbs, ½ serving is 3.1 g net carbs.
- Heat a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and garlic. Cook over until the sausage is completely browned, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage with a spoon. Drain out as much of the excess grease as possible.
- Add in the bone broth and diced red peppers to the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Add gnocchi & cream and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish and serve warm.
For as long as I can remember I have been struggling with my weight. I have had brief periods of being thin (by no means healthy), but mostly brought on heart break or just being broke! But just like clockwork, once I get happy...the weight comes creeping back.
After culinary & pastry school, it got worse. Over the course of 3 years I gained 100 pounds. I am a Pastry Chef by day and a tortured low-carb blogger by night! Seriously, the hardest job ever for someone avoiding carbs & processed foods!
Once I found the keto diet, my relationship with food greatly changed! In the past 6 months I’ve lost 30 pounds and I’m still losing. I don’t have sugar cravings anymore! Even being surrounded by cake on a daily basis!
Travel and food are my hobbies. I am happily married to the greatest man I’ve ever met who has taken me on so many amazing adventures in Europe. We have been to about 10 countries so far! Currently, we live as expats in southern Germany with our two little puppies.