When I ask what people miss on a low-carb diet, many often mention pizza. I like the cauli-crust base, bacon or cheese base but they're not quite the same as real pizza. The crust is what makes all the difference!
So I spent a few days trying different sorts of pizza crusts and made two that I really liked - both are crispy and taste amazing! The recipe below includes dairy but I also made a dairy-free pizza which I will post very soon :-)
This recipe makes one small pizza which is enough for four snacks or two regular servings.
Nutritional values (per ¼ pizza):
|of which Saturated||12.3||grams|
|Magnesium||52||mg (13% RDA)|
|Potassium||190||mg (10% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from net carbs (5.1%), protein (22.1%), fat (72.8%)
Ingredients (makes 1 small pizza):
- 2 tbsp cream cheese (64g / 2.3 oz)
- 1 tbsp cream, heavy whipping
- 1 tsp onion powder (or garlic powder)
- ⅓ cup feta cheese, crumbled (50g / 1.8 oz)
- ½ cup hard goat cheese or any other hard type cheese, grated (60g / 2.1 oz)
- 1 small red onion (60g / 2.1 oz)
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, seedless (25g / 0.9 oz)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. Place all the dry ingredients for the crust into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the egg and process well using your hand.
- Line a baking sheet or a medium skillet with a parchment paper (skillet makes it easy to create a round shape). Spread the batter evenly using a hand roll or your fingers until very thin. Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden.
You will need to wet your fingers to prevent the batter sticking on them.
- Meanwhile, prepare the white sauce. Mix the cream cheese, cream and onion powder until well combined.
- Peel and slice the onion, crumble the feta and grate the hard cheese. Chop the olives if needed.
- When the crust is done, remove from the oven.
- Spread the white sauce on top.
- Add the crumbled feta, hard cheese, onion and olives. Place back in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and cut into quarters using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Top with fresh rocket leaves and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place on a serving plate and enjoy!