I created this recipe by accident a few weeks ago when I was working on a recipe for Spiced Butternut Chips. I realized it was quite difficult to slice the wide part of the butternut squash and wanted to create a recipe that would make better use of it.
Keep in mind this recipe is not "zero-carb" and it's suitable for the days you are active or as part of the TKD.
Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD) is all about managing your carbs intake during days of high activity. Typically, people on TKD consume up to 60 grams of easily digestible carbs 30-90 minutes before their workouts. The amount of carbs depends on the intensity and duration of the workout session. The idea is that all pre-workout carbs will effectively be used as an immediate form of energy.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||8||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (26.7%), protein (22.9%), fat (50.3%)
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 2 butternut squash, only bottom part (300g / 10.6 oz)
- 2 large eggs, free-range or organic
- 2 small mushrooms, I used baby Portobello mushrooms (40g / 1.4 oz)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (30g / 1.1 oz)
- 2 tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried parsley
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste (I used pink Himalayan)
- coconut oil spray or melted ghee / butter for brushing
Notes: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F. Peel the butternut squash.
- Remove the seeds and fibers. Nothing goes to waste: keep the seeds and roast them to make a quick low-carb snack!
Note: You can use the narrow part of the squash in Spiced Butternut Chips.
- Place a mushroom inside each cup, season with salt and pepper and top with freshly chopped herbs. Transfer to a baking sheet and spray with some coconut oil or brush with melted ghee. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add some parmesan cheese and crack the egg in the butternut cup.
- Top with the remaining parmesan cheese and place back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes.
- When done, remove and serve with fresh greens. You can make butternut cups in advance and have them ready in your fridge for a quick pre-workout snack. Enjoy!
Alternatives for less carbs:
The sweeter the squash is, the more carbs it has. Here are some alternatives you can try (net carbs per 100 g / 3.5 oz): Butternut - 9.7 g , Hokkaido - 7.1 g, Onion / Ambercup - 7.1 g, Harlequin / Carnival - 7 g, Spaghetti - 5.4 g, Hubbard - 4.8 g, Pattypan - 2.6 g