Dark Cherry Crunch Pie
Yesterday, I posted my Dark Cherry Chia Jam recipe and in this post I'll show you how to use it to make this amazing low-carb pie! It's great for those that suffer from food allergies. As all my recipes, it's grain-free and sugar-free. Additionally, this pie is egg-free and dairy-free.
I made it last weekend when I visited friends and it was a big success - didn't last more than a few hours! :-)
Note for KetoDiet iPad users: This recipe will be available to add to your custom meals with the upcoming update of KetoDiet.
Hands-on: 15 minutes
Overall: 35-45 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||12.6||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (8.1%), protein (10.3%), fat (81.6%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings):
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F. Coarsely chop the pecan nuts and mix them in a bowl with desiccated coconut, almond flour and melted coconut oil. Add Erythritol and stevia and mix well.
Note: For the pecan nuts, I used a blender and pulsed them a few times. Do not use fine coconut flour in this recipe. It won't work, as it's too dry and the crust wouldn't be good. Using roughly shredded desiccated coconut will give the pie a nice crunch.
- Press the mixture into a tart baking dish and create edges using your fingers. Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Keep an eye on it to prevent burning (nut flours get burnt easily if the temperature is too high).
Note: I used a 23 cm / 9 inch baking dish but a smaller one would work, too. Don't use too large baking dish or it will be difficult to handle.
- Remove from the oven, place on a rack and fill with Dark Cherry Chia Jam (recipe is here).
- Spread the jam all over the pie.
- In a small bowl, mix the flaked almonds, coconut flakes and melted coconut oil. Add Erythritol, stevia and salt.
- Sprinkle evenly on top of the pie and place in the oven for another 7-10 minutes.
- When the pie is done, place on a cooling rack and let it cool down before serving.
- Placing the pie in the fridge for a couple of hours will make it solid and easier to handle.
Because there are no eggs, the baked crust will be fragile. I suggest you use a baking dish with removable bottom.