Dark Cherry Chia Jam
Fruit is generally not the most "keto-friendly" food. However, if it's used moderately with other nutritious meals, it can be included in every low-carb diet, even Atkins Induction.
This recipe doesn't require any pectin or other thickeners such as arrowroot powder. I used my favourite ingredient instead: chia seeds. They are almost zero-carb and low in calories. Add to your homemade jams and you will get a nice jelly texture. You can try this sweet cherry jam in yogurts, parfaits or even low-carb baked goods. It's also the main ingredient in my Dark Cherry Crunch Pie which is grain, sugar, egg and dairy free!
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 tbsp / 20g / 0.7 oz):
|of which Saturated||0.03||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (56.5%), protein (12.3%), fat (31.2%)
Ingredients per jar (makes 22 servings, 440 g / 1 lb / 15.5 oz):
- 2 ½ cups dark sweet cherries (250g / 8.8 oz)
- 5 tbsp chia seeds (24g / 0.8 oz)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (~ 1 vanilla bean)
- ½ lemon (only peel will be used)
- ¼ cup Erythritol (non GMO) or other healthy low-carb sweetener from this list
(40g / 1.4 oz)
- 10-15 drops liquid Stevia extract (Clear / Vanilla)
- 1 cup water (240 ml / 8.1 fl oz)
Note: The lemon zest is used only for brief cooking and does not add any nutritional value. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Wash and pit the cherries and place them in a small sauce pan with a cup of water.
- Slowly heat up and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Peel half of a lemon and place the peel into the sauce pan for about a minute or two.
Note: Pell the lemon with a knife rather than using a zester, it will be easier to remove the peel using just a tablespoon.
- Don't leave the peel in the sauce pan for too long or the jam will get bitter.
- Open and scrape the vanilla bean and add the seeds into the mixture. Sweeten with Erythritol and stevia.
- Take off the heat, add chia seeds and mix well. If you are using the jam straight away, leave to rest for 15-20 minutes until it becomes jellied and firm.
- Mix before using.
- Otherwise, transfer into a glass jar, let it cool down, seal and keep refrigerated. Use within 5-7 days.