Daiquiri is a classic rum cocktail where the main ingredient is rum (my favourite!), fruit and sugar. And guess how many carbs an average lime Daiquiri has? There is about 20-25g of net carbs of which 16-20g is sugar - all this just in one cocktail! If you are wondering about the effects of alcohol on low-carb, read this.
I made this low-carb alternative using just a few drops of stevia and it tastes great! I made some of these for my friends today and they couldn't tell it was low-carb!
My recipe has 3.6 g of net carbs which is quite low. And you can make it almost zero-carb: Substitute 1/2 of the juiced lime with 1 tsp of natural lime extract. The net carbs content of such cocktail will drop to only 2 grams!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||0||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (93.4%), protein (4.8%), fat (1.8%)
Ingredients (per serving):
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 shot dark or white rum (1 ½ -2 fl oz)
- 3-6 drops liquid Stevia extract or other healthy low-carb sweetener from this list
- 1 cup ice
- lime for garnish
- Optionally: a few drops of either lime, lemon or orange natural extract
- Before you start, place the glass in the freezer for about 20 minutes. This will keep your drink cool. Wash and juice the lime, add rum and a few drops of stevia.
- You can optionally add a few drops of lime, lemon or orange extract, preferably PG-free. You can read more about food extracts here.
- Place the ice in the blender and pulse until crushed.
- Remove the glass from the freezer, fill with the crushed ice and add the lime mixture. Serve with a piece of lime.
Note: You can alternatively use a shaker. Just place everything inside, shake and strain the mixture into the cocktail glass.