This recipe is definitely one of my favourite for two reasons: very low in net carbs & taste great! Now, let's have a look why eggplants (aka aubergines) are so good for us:
- they contain antioxidants (most of them are in the purple skin) that protect our cells from free-radical damage => anti-aging effect!
- they are high in fiber, low in net carbs (2.3g of net carbs per 100g / 3.5 oz)
- eggplants are a good source of potassium and magnesium, electrolytes that are often deficient not just in low-carb diets
- they are DELICIOUS!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||6.8||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (10.3%), protein (4.4%), fat (85.3%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Slice the eggplants into about 1/2 cm / 1/4 inch pieces with a knife. I sliced them slightly diagonally to get them as big as possible (they will shrink a lot).
- Lay the eggplant in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with baking foil or parchment paper and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for up to an hour to leach out water before baking. Use a paper towel to tap on each slice and remove any excessive water.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 175 C. In a small bowl, mix the melted ghee (butter or extra virgin olive oil), chopped rosemary and mashed garlic.
- Brush each slice from both sides with the oil mixture, add more salt if needed and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes. You may need to remove some of the eggplant at a time depending on the thickness of each slice and also on distribution of heat in your oven.
- Remove from the oven and eat soon. Like other vegetable chips, eggplant chips tend to get soggy if you leave them for too long. If that happens, just add them back to the oven for a couple of minutes. ENJOY!
Suggestion: You can try eggplant chips with simple creamy dip. You will need 1 cup of sour cream (240g / 8.5 oz) and 1 medium spring onion, thinly chopped. 1 serving: 1/4 cup of creamy dip will add about 1.9g of net carbs.