Berries are in season and so is this delicious salad! For the next few weeks I'll be sharing plenty of recipes with fresh vegetables and keto-friendly meals for summer BBQs.
The truth is that I've been planning to share this recipe last summer but was too busy and didn't want to post recipes with berries in autumn when they are not in season :-) In this recipe I used my quick berry vinaigrette with a twist - I used strawberries instead of raspberries. For the topping I used toasted almond flakes - if you are allergic to nuts, try sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds instead.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||28.5||grams|
|Magnesium||142||mg (36% RDA)|
|Potassium||541||mg (27% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (4%), protein (21%), fat (76%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 1 ½ cup hard goat cheese, grated (180 g/ 6.3 oz)
- 4 cups spinach, fresh (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- ½ cup flaked almonds, toasted (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 4 strawberries for garnish (40 g/ oz)
- 2 servings (4 tablespoons) Fat-burning Raspberry Vinaigrette but use strawberries instead, the effect on net carbs is the same
Notes: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- First, prepare the cheese bowl. Preheat the oven to 400 °F/200 °C and line a baking tray with parchment paper cut in half (one half per cheese bowl). Grate the goat cheese on the baking sheet into in the shape of two rough circles (one circle for each serving).
- Transfer into the oven and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Watch it carefully: The cheese crust should be golden in colour, not brown. If you bake it for too long, it will taste bitter. When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool for about a minute. To create the cheese bowl, set a small bowl upside-down, then carefully lift the parchment paper off the tray and flip the cheese over the bowl. Lightly press the edges, if needed, then let cool in that position for at least 5 minutes. You can leave the cheese on the bowl while you prepare the salad filling.
- Prepare the berry vinaigrette. Wash the spinach and place in a salad spinner or simply pat dry using a paper towel. Place the spinach into the cheese bowls, toss with the berry vinaigrette, sprinkle with toasted almond flakes and top with strawberry slices.
You can either get toasted almond flakes or simply dry-roast them on a non-stick pan for a minute or two, until fragrant.
Enjoy! Also try my Roasted Strawberry & Goat Cheese Salad ;-)