This tasty keto recipe is great for those of us with busy life styles. It takes no longer than an hour to prepare and can provide several quick ketogenic lunches and dinners. I fine-tuned this recipe to be not just low in carbs but also high in micronutrients - you will get 40% of your daily potassium in just one serving! It's best served with some keto-friendly foods like Sriracha, crispy greens or pickles. If you only cook for yourself and eight servings is too much for you, just halve the recipe.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||18.7||grams|
|Magnesium||65||mg (16% RDA)|
|Potassium||797||mg (40% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (30%), fat (65%).
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- 800 g chicken thighs, diced (1.32 lb/ 21.2 oz)
- 1 medium head cauliflower (600 g/ 1.54 lb/ 24.7 oz)
- 1 small head broccoli (300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 medium white onion (110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4-6 slices unsmoked bacon (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard - you can make your own
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese ( 280 g/ 9.9 oz)
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- ¼ cup ghee or lard (55 g/ 1.9 oz)
- ½ tsp salt or to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Sriracha chili sauce (1 tbsp per serving)
- Spicy mayo (½ cup mayonnaise + 2 tbsp Sriracha) - makes 8 servings
- Spicy dressing (½ cup sour cream or creme fraiche + 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream + 2 tbsp Sriracha) - makes 8 servings
- Pickled cucumbers
- Crispy greens (spinach, lettuce, watercress,..) with extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 360 F. Start by grating the cauliflower and broccoli. For best results, use a grating blade on your food processor to create rice-like shapes. I used my Kenwood mixer with a food processor attachment. When done, set aside.
- Grease a large pot with half of the ghee and add the diced chicken thighs. Cook over a medium heat until the meat is browned from all sides. This will take just 6-8 minutes. Then, use a slotted spoon and transfer the meat in large mixing bowl.
- Add the mustard, chili powder, and paprika to the bowl with cooked chicken and mix until covered in the spices from all sides. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate.
- Peel and slice the onion and chop the garlic. Place the onion in a the same pot greased with the remaining ghee and cook over a medium heat until fragrant and lightly browned. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Slice the bacon and add it to the pot with onion and garlic.
- Cook for a few minutes until browned and add the grated cauliflower and broccoli. Cook over a medium-low heat for 7-8 minutes while stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Meanwhile, grate the cheddar cheese. In a bowl, crack the eggs and mix with the cream. Season with the remaining salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the cooked broccoli, cauliflower, bacon, onion and garlic mixture to the bowl with marinated chicken. Add three quarters of the grated cheese and mix until well combined.
- Place in a deep baking dish (or two if needed) and evenly top with the egg mixture - stir with a spoon to ensure even distribution. I used parchment paper so that it's easy to remove and serve once baked.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese and place in the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Optionally, just before serving, top with Sriracha, spicy mayo or spicy dressing (see tips in Ingredients).
Enjoy hot or cold and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Serve with pickles or greens drizzled with olive oil.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!