Traditional Tex Mex soup is a delicious and spicy comfort meal made with vegetables, ground beef, sausage, black beans and corn. My low-carb version uses green beans instead of black beans and corn. It's a great one-pot meal that takes less than half an hour to prepare. Try this hearty soup with low-carb bread such as Ultimate Keto Buns or Keto Breadsticks!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||12.6||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7.1%), protein (20.3%), fat (72.6%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- 500 g ground beef (1.1 lb / 17.6 oz)
- 200 g sausage such as chorizo (7.1 oz) - I used Spanish chorizo but you can also use Mexican chorizo
- 1 large tin tomatoes, unsweetened (400 g / 14.1 oz)
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes (200 g / 7.1 oz) or more tinned tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato puree, unsweetened (62 g / 2.2 oz)
- 2 small green chilies (30 g / 1.1 oz)
- 1 medium red pepper (120 g / 4.2 oz)
- 1 medium white onion (110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups green beans (200 g / 7.1 oz)
- dash Tabasco or to taste
- ¼ cup ghee - you can make your own (55 g / 1.9 oz)
- 1 tsp salt or to taste (I like pink Himalayan rock salt)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 litre water or bone broth - you can make your own (4 cups / 1 quart) or more if too thick
- Optional: fresh cilantro or parsley
When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Peel and dice the onion and garlic. Halve, deseed and slice the red pepper and green chili peppers.
- Grease a large soup pot or a Dutch oven with ghee. Once hot, add the diced onion and garlic and cook over a medium-high heat for a few minutes while stirring, until lightly browned. Add the sliced red pepper and green chili peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes and stir to prevent burning.
- Slice the chorizo sausage and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Add the chorizo, ground beef into the pot and cook until browned from all sides.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and Tabasco to taste.
- Pour in the water and season with salt and pepper. Wash and cut the green beans into thirds. Cook the soup until you see bubbles and add the chopped green beans.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the green beans are crisp-tender. Take off the heat.
Serve hot and try with Keto Buns! Store refrigerated for up to 5 days or freeze for longer.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!