I'm pleased to introduce a very talented low-carb foodie and blogger: Sarah of The Primitive Palate. When I came across her recipe for low-carb gnocchi, I couldn't believe how easy and delicious it was! Sarah agreed to guest post for me and created another delicious keto-friendly recipe inspired by Italian cuisine: Zuppa Toscana (Gnocchi Soup with Sausage & Kale).
Hands down, my favorite winter food is soup. It’s warm, filling and surprisingly so very simple to make. It’s also a great way to get rid of various veggie scraps and leftovers cluttering up your refrigerator!
This soup features a favorite from my blog, Keto Garlic Gnocchi! It’s a low-carb version of the traditional Italian favorite, Zuppa Toscana. It also packs a nutrient punch with everyone’s favorite powerhouses: bone broth & kale. Usually, I make a big batch of gnocchi dough, form and freeze them. Then I can just thaw what I need, when I need it!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||30.8||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (4.2%), protein (18.4%), fat (77.3%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 1 pound ground spicy Italian sausage (450 g / 15.9 oz)
- 1 small onion, diced (70 g / 2.5 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups bone broth (chicken or beef) - you can use this recipe (1 quart / 1 l)
- 1 red medium pepper, diced (120 g / 4.2 oz)
- 1 cup chopped kale (frozen works when it’s not in season) (70 g / 2.4 oz)
- 1 batch Keto Garlic Gnocchi
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 ml / 4 fl oz)
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- optional garnish: Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley & crumbled bacon
This recipe is enough for 4-6 servings depending on how hungry you are. If you opt for 6 servings, the net carbs per serving will drop to 5.8 grams. One batch of Keto Garlic Gnocchi makes 2 servings which are used in this recipe to make 4 servings of soup. 1 serving of gnocchi is 6.2 g net carbs, ½ serving is 3.1 g net carbs.
Follow us 50.3k
- Heat a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and garlic. Cook over until the sausage is completely browned, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage with a spoon. Drain out as much of the excess grease as possible.
- Add in the bone broth and diced red peppers to the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Add gnocchi & cream and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish and serve warm.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!