Souvlaki aka meat skewers is one of the most popular dishes in Greece. This delicious meal is very simple to prepare and you will only need a few ingredients: meat, olive oil, lemon and herbs. I prefer lamb or pork but you can use beef, chicken or even turkey. The best thing about meat is that is is virtually zero-carb and keeps you sated for longer!
You can serve Souvlaki with salads such as Greek salad or Melitzanosalata, a recipe I posted on my blog recently.
There are several recipes in my apps and book that go great with Souvlaki (Tzatziki, Mediterranean salad, Low-carb Caponata, Tomato & mozzarella salad and many other).
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||18.3||grams|
|Magnesium||45.3||mg (11% RDA)|
|Potassium||630||mg (32% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (0.74%), protein (24.9%), fat (74.3%)
Ingredients (make 4 servings):
- 1.8 lb / 0.8 kg lamb leg or shoulder, boneless ( 800g / 28.2 oz)
- handful chopped mint, fresh (or less if dried)
- 2 tbsp chopped rosemary, fresh (or less if dried)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (60 ml / 2 fl oz)
- ½ tsp salt (I used pink Himalayan) or to taste
Note: Only ½ of the oil is contributes to the nutrition values, as most is used for marinating. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives). If you prefer to use pork, opt for outdoor reared pork and avoid farmed pork.
- Dice the meat into medium-sized pieces.
- Place in a bowl and add extra virgin olive oil and freshly juiced lemon. Finely chop the mint and rosemary and add to the bowl. Season with salt and mix well to cover the meat in the oil mixture on all sides. Place in the fridge for 4-8 hours or overnight. Mix once or twice to avoid drying. The longer you marinate it, the better.
- Preheat the oven to 230 C / 450 F. Pierce the skewers through each meat cube and place them on a rack and in the oven.
- After 10-15 minutes, turn each of the skewers on the other side and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- When crispy and browned, remove from the oven and let them cool down.
- Serve immediately with Melitzanosalata or fresh vegetable salad.