Like everyone, when I started my paleo-friendly ketogenic diet, I missed foods like rice, bread and pasta. However, I soon discovered that it's quite easy to make healthy alternatives to all-time favourites like rye bread, pizza, pasta, or even ice-cream.
If you have never tried cauli-rice, you may be surprised how similar it tastes to real rice. The secret to success is simple: Make sure you don't overcook it!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||8.6||grams|
|Magnesium||86||mg (22% RDA)|
|Potassium||766||mg (38% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (9.2%), protein (31.4%), fat (59.4%)
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 3 cups Cauli-rice (360 g/ 12.7 oz)
- 2 cups prawns, cooked and peeled (280 g/ 9.9 oz)
- 3 cups white mushrooms, sliced (210 g/ 7.4 oz)
- 2 medium spring onions (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 tbsp chili peppers, fresh, chopped
- 3 large eggs, free range or organic, scrambled
- ½ cup flaked almonds, toasted (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 2 tbsp basil, fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp mint, fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
- juice from ½ lime
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp butter, ghee or virgin coconut oil
- ½ tsp sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- Prepare the Cauli-rice as described here. Don't cook it - only grate the cauliflower.
- Grate the ginger and finely chop the chili peppers. Place on a large heavy-based pan greased with ghee, butter or coconut oil. Cook briefly for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes (white mushrooms contain less carbs than brown).
- Add the cauli-rice and mix in well. Season with salt to taste and cook for another 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Finely chop the spring onion and add it to the pan together with the peeled, cooked prawns.
- In a bowl, scramble the eggs and pour in the pan while stirring. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in the coconut aminos and fish sauce.
- Add freshly chopped herbs, lime juice and cook for a minute. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Add toasted flaked almonds.
To toast the almonds, simply place them on a pan and roast over medium-high heat. Do not grease the pan and roast for 2-3 minutes while stirring frequently to prevent the almonds from burning.
- Done - enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!