Casseroles are some of the most convenient and satisfying dishes. They are easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time with just a few common ingredients. Make this keto casserole on a Sunday, and keep in the fridge ready to reheat throughout the week for an easy low-carb & paleo dinner.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||14.4||grams|
|Magnesium||61||mg (15% RDA)|
|Potassium||744||mg (37% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7%), protein (23%), fat (70%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
- ¼ cup ghee or lard (55 g/ 1.9 oz)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, sliced (110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 1 head Savoy or green cabbage, shredded and core removed (600 g/ 1.3 lb)
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained (284 g/ 10 oz) - you can make your own
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or leftover sauerkraut juice (30 ml)
- ½ cup water or chicken stock (120 ml)
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt (I like pink Himalayan) or to taste
- 8-12 gluten-free Italian-style sausages (800 g/ 1.76 lb)
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Optional: serve with homemade condiments such as Dijon mustard or ketchup.
- Cut the cabbage in quarters, remove and discard the core. Slice the cabbage, onion, green pepper and mince the garlic. Grease a large saucepan or a Dutch oven with ghee. Add the sliced onion, and cook for 5-8 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Then add the minced garlic, sliced green pepper and cook for a minute. Add the shredded cabbage, ...
- ... Sauerkraut, lemon juice, water, thyme, oregano and mix until combined. Cover with a lid and cook over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F. Transfer the cabbage into a large ovenproof casserole dish (or leave it in the Dutch oven if you can fit the sausages).
- Top with sausages, cover with a lid or a baking foil and place in the oven. Bake for about 25 minutes, and then, remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with homemade keto Dijon mustard or ketchup. To store, refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.