This homemade ice-cream is absolutely delicious and tastes like my favourite treat. With all the flavours of healthy keto Bounty Bars in creamy ice-cream topped with sugar-free magic shell - this is the ultimate frozen summer treat! It's dairy-free, low in carbs and high in healthy fats, such as MCTs. I used toasted coconut to enhance the flavour but you can keep it simple and use regular unsweetened shredded coconut.
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 scoops):
|of which Saturated||35.9||grams|
|Magnesium||74||mg (19% RDA)|
|Potassium||373||mg (19% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6%), protein (5%), fat (89%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings):
- To toast the coconut, preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F. Spread the shredded (or flaked) coconut on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and toast for 5-8 minutes until light golden. Mix once or twice to prevent burning.
- Spoon coconut cream and coconut milk in a large sauce pan and heat over a medium heat.
- Once hot, take off the heat. Add the Erythritol, optionally stevia and stir until dissolved.
- Add vanilla bean powder, toasted coconut, salt and combine well.
- Pour in a food processor and pulse until it reaches a smoothie-like consistency. This step can be skipped if you prefer your ice-cream chunky. Set Set aside to cool down completely or place in a bowl and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Pour into the into your ice-cream maker (I use Cuisinart) and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. It may take anything between 30-60 minutes depending on your ice-cream maker. When done, scoop the ice-cream into a large container or a silicone loaf pan and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the magic shell. Place cacao powder and powdered Erythritol in a bowl with melted coconut oil. Mix until well combined.
- To serve, place 2 scoops of the ice-cream in a serving bowl and pour over 2 tablespoons of the melted chocolate.
- Store the chocolate separately in a fridge and warm up when ready for serving. Alternatively, pour the chocolate on top of the ice-cream and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. For portion control and easy serving, I prefer using small containers like these.
Tip: Ice-cream straight from the freezer may be too hard but you know the trick. Microwave for 10-20 seconds or leave at room temperature for 15-30 minutes before serving.