As you may have guessed, this nutrient-packed keto salad is based on the Philadelphia Cheesesteak sandwich. It's quick, easy and can be made in advance. Simply prepare the vegetables and steak following the instructions below, let them cool down and store in the fridge. Just before serving, reheat the vegetables and steak on a pan, top with the grated cheese and let it melt.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||21.8||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (25%), fat (70%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 2 small or 1 large ribeye steak (300 g / 10.6 oz) - you could also use flank or skirt steak - make sure you cut it thinly after cooking
- ¼ salt (I like pink Himalayan)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee, lard or duck fat for greasing
- 1 tbsp ghee, lard or duck fat
- 1 small white or yellow onion, sliced (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- ½ cup grated cheddar or provolone or mozzarella or any cheese you like (56 g/ 2 oz)
- 1 bag lettuce of mixed greens of choice (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- salt, pepper and fresh herbs of choice for garnish
Tip: Instead of grated cheese, try the salad with some Keto Cheese Sauce
- Allow the steak to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Using a paper towel, pat the excess blood off. Toss with some of the melted ghee and season with salt and pepper. The ghee may solidify even at room temperature which is perfectly normal. Make sure you season the steak after you toss it with oil. You don't want to wash the seasoning off.
- Fry in a very hot heavy based pan over a high heat for 2-4 minutes on each side to seal in the juices. When you see the sides getting brown, it's time to flip it over. The exact time depends on the size of your steak. Small would take 2 minutes, while large up to 4 minutes to brown. Reduce to a medium heat and continue to cook for further 4 minutes (rare), 7 minutes (medium), 11 minutes (well done). There is no need to turn the steak again. If you use a thermometer, the steak should read 52-60 C / 125-140 F (rare to medium-rare).
I used a cast iron griddle pan which is perfect for steaks.
- Remove the steak from the pan and allow it to rest in a warm place for 5-7 minutes. The steak will finish cooking in the residual heat as the temperature slowly goes down. The best way to rest the steak is to fold it up in a parchment paper and then in a kitchen towel. This will keep it juicy and equally pink inside. After 5-7 minutes, slice into thin strips.
- While the steak is resting, prepare the vegetables. Add a tablespoon of ghee to the pan where you cooked the steak. Place the sliced onion, minced garlic, green pepper and red pepper in the pan and cook over a medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, until crisp-tender. Do not overcook the vegetables.
- Assemble the salad. Place the lettuce, warm peppers and onion, grated cheddar cheese and thinly cut steak into a serving bowl. If you like the cheese to be melted, add it on top of the warm vegetables together with sliced steak while still in the hot pan and let it melt - then transfer to the bowl on top of lettuce. Serve immediately while still warm.