Following a ketogenic diet doesn't mean eating bacon, cheese and eggs all the time. If you like sushi, you don't have to be limited to eating only sashimi - these hand rolls are perfect for a keto diet. I used cauliflower instead of rice which is a great alternative I've been using to make all sorts of sushi wraps and rolls. The key ingredient is mayonnaise that makes the cauli-rice sticky and takes this meal a step closer to regular sushi.
If you're not a fan of seafood, you can try my Curried Chicken Hand Rolls or simply use the chicken filling instead of prawns and avocado in this recipe.
Nutritional values (per hand roll):
|of which Saturated||9.1||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (17%), fat (78%)
Ingredients (makes 4 hand rolls):
- Place the prawns (or shrimps) in a bowl and add the Sriracha sauce ...
- ... and the mayonnaise. Season with salt, mix and set aside. I used shrimps which are smaller than prawns but you can use either.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sticky cauli-rice. Cut the cauliflower into smaller florets and make the "cauli-rice" using a grater or a food processor with a grating blade (I use this one from Kenwood). Place the cauli-rice into a large hot pan greased with ghee and cook for 7-8 minutes over a medium heat. Season with salt and stir frequently to ensure even cooking.
- Place the cooked cauliflower in a bowl and let it cool down to room temperature. Then, add the vinegar and mayonnaise (or cream cheese) and mix until well combined. The end result should be sticky so the nori sheets can hold it without spilling.
- Assemble the rolls. Top each nori sheet with a quarter of the cauliflower rice mixture, spicy prawns, ...
- ... and sliced avocado. Using your hands, starting from the bottom left corner, tightly roll into a cone shape. Wet the edges of the seaweed to seal. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Eat immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The nori sheets will get soft once you assemble it and the avocado will brown so it's better to assemble the wraps just before serving. Enjoy!