I posted the recipe for Strawberry Ricotta Pancakes almost a year ago, shortly after I created this website. I have to admit I still consider myself quite new to the whole blogosphere and know there is always room for improvement. There are always recipes I want to fine-tune and find a better balance.
I knew this recipe had some flaws and always wanted to go back and try using other ingredients and cooking methods. My original pancakes were too fragile and difficult to handle. Initially, I thought that a slight change in ingredients would be enough, but soon I realised I needed to use a different cooking method.
I used organic pastured eggs and the egg yolks were really vibrant! As with all low-carb "sweets", these pancakes are low in carbs but you should always treat them as occasional rewards.
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 pancakes):
|of which Saturated||13.3||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (9%), protein (21.9%), fat (69.1%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
Note: These pancakes are great with strawberries but also work with blueberries, raspberries or blackberries. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, vanilla extract, ricotta cheese and stevia.
- Beat the egg whites untill they become thick and form soft peaks. While beating, slowly add the baking soda and cream of tartar.
- Transfer the egg whites into the bowl with the egg yolk mixture and very gently fold in. Using a sieve, slowly add the coconut flour.
Note: After adding coconut flour, be careful not to deflate the mixture completely.
- Place the sliced strawberries onto a baking dish lined with parchment paper and greased with coconut oil.
Note: If you only have frozen strawberries, they have to be thawed and the excess juices removed.
- Top with the pancake mixture and add more strawberries on top. Spray with coconut oil and place in the oven.
- Cook for about 15 minutes until slightly browned.
- Place on a serving plate and serve warm.
I hope you enjoyed reading my post. To find out more about the ketogenic diet and keto-friendly recipes, check out my apps KetoDiet, KetoDiet Basic and my Kindle book!